21 Mar Custom Green – Finalist for the 2018 MBAWA Housing Excellence Awards
Custom Green is proud to announce that Blinco Street, Fremantle was awarded as a Finalist for Excellence in Energy Efficiency in the 2018 Master Builders-Bankwest Housing Excellence Awards.
Designed and constructed by Custom Green, this passive solar, energy efficient home is the result of Custom Green’s expertise in environmental sustainable design and construction, paired with the owner’s vision for a healthier planet.
The owner’s vision was to create an adaptable passive solar, energy efficient home, ensuring carbon neutrality by hosting solar panels for all their energy needs (no gas on the property). The home is currently producing twice as much energy than is required for the household, feeding the surplus back into the grid. This 3 bed/3 bath home achieved an energy rating of 7.9 stars. It was designed to be adaptable and can be turned into a 4 bed home. There is also a self-sufficient studio behind the kitchen that can be rented out or used as a guest room.
The owners have opted for recycled materials as much as possible to minimise the environmental footprint. Located near the Fremantle CBD, riding or walking to most places minimises the use of a car.
- Outdoor living space for chickens, wicking veggie garden beds
- A deck outside the north facing living area will help keep the internals cool in summer
- No artificial heating or cooling achieved with the design of breeze-ways
- Concrete slabs and recycled brick walls to absorb and release thermal mass
- Home is fully sealed at all external opening points, including an insulated garage door
- Permicav insulation has been used to enclose the thermal envelope on the ground floor
- R4 ceiling insulation is paired with R1.3 Anticon under the roof cover
- Adaptable design; we’ve designed the rooms to create the opportunity for spaces to change, and grow
- Healthy air quality; low VOC paints has been used throughout and Livos oil to seal the exposed concrete floors. The concrete slabs contains fly-ash which not only offer environmental advantages, it also improves the overall performance and quality of the concrete
- 2 x interconnected rain water tanks feed the whole house (8500L). A grey water system feeds the deciduous fruit trees and natives in the garden
- To minimise construction waste going to landfill, Instant Waste was contracted to relocate waste material to their recycling facility
- The owners used most of the leftover cap rock on site to create garden beds .